Being more active can play a huge role in a person’s mental and physical recovery after stroke.
It can help improve mood and increase energy levels. It can also help reduce the risk of another stroke.
But we know that it’s not always easy to feel confident taking part in activity after a stroke.
So, we’ve produced in collaboration with Stroke Association a stroke-specific 12-week programme of short videos to help people who have had a stroke be more active at home.
We specialise in exercise-based recovery for stroke survivors and the videos offer three levels of difficulty and cover different aspects of movement.
How do I take part?
To start you’ll need to watch the introduction video so you can understand how the videos meet your individual needs, and how to assess which group you belong in. There is also a dedicated video for Carers to demonstrate both how you can best support someone doing the exercises and how you can look after yourself.
This is especially important if the person you are supporting is in the Red or Amber Groups.
Please subscribe to our YouTube channel and then like, comment, and share so we know we are getting it right for you.
Our three levels of difficulty:
Videos in the Red Group are for survivors who:
- Have limited mobility.
- Sit in a supported wheelchair/armchair.
- Use a hoist or rota stand for transfer.
- Require assistance from a carer to support movement and exercise.
- Fatigue very quickly.
Videos in the Amber Group are for survivors who:
- Have some mobility.
- Can sit without support.
- Can move but may need to be supported on their weaker side.
- Can grip an object.
- Can walk with assistance and/or walking aid.
- Need to hold bannisters when going up and downstairs.
- Can exercise independently but may require support from a piece of furniture.
- May need assistance when fatigued.
Videos in the Green Group are for survivors who:
- Are independently mobile.
- Can grip an object.
- Do not need a walking aid.
- Can walk as a form of exercise.
- Can go up and down stairs unaided.
- Can get on the floor and back up unaided.
- Have a good range of motion.
- Can complete an exercise programme independently.
Each video is led by a qualified physiotherapist and includes written coaching notes to emphasise points to work on. These videos are intended to support the rehabilitation needs of stroke survivors but may not be suitable for everyone. Before using these videos, please discuss their suitability with your doctor or stroke health professional.
Our events kit will help you make the most of your fundraising. With an abundance of material and playful ideas to get you inspired, you can count on us to get you started. We couldn’t do it without you, order your free event kit below!